During the weekly water sample collecting on August 24 a very distinct odor of sewage odor was noticed at the footbridge that crosses Spa Creek between the Children's Museum and Bates. Subsequent test results for the sample of water taken at that location showed that enterococci levels were at 20,250 cfu/100ml. Anything over 104 is consider unsafe. The City of Annapolis was called Friday, August 24 and again on Monday, August 27 to make sure they knew about the problem. A "Sewage Overflow" sign was eventually posted. There are also signs of a fuel oil spill closer to Bates. The county has been notified of that. This is the third time in the last year that there has been a fuel oil spill.
Spa Creek Conservancy - Home
Join Spa Creek Conservancy for a day of fun and learning.
Families are invited to learn about Spa Creek at the Kids on the Creek event, Saturday August 25 from 11am-3pm at the Truxtun Park Boat Ramp, Annapolis
This is a day to celebrate and learn about Spa Creek and is free for the community.
- Free boat rides begin at 11:30am
- Free food and drink
- Scavenger Hunt with prizes will have kids exploring Truxtun Park
- Seining and Fishing identification and counting at noon and 2pm
- Native plants will be available for those who want to create pollinator gardens.
Limited number of boat rides available. First-come, first-serve.
*Boat rides are for children ages 5 and up. Due to limited space only one parent allowed with children ages 5-8. No parents for children over the age of 8.
Pre-registrations no longer being accepted. Register at the event.
Special thanks to our sponsors
- July 13th and 20th
- August 10th and 17th
- September 7th and 14th
- Striped Killifish (notice males and females look different)
- Mummichogs (most easily confused with male Striped Killifish)
- Atlantic Silversides (possibly Inland Silversides too)
- White Perch (young-of-the-year and adults)
- Striped Bass (young-of-the-year)
- Atlantic Menhaden (young-of-the-year)
- Gizzard shad